Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race - Margot Lee Shetterly, Robin Miles

I Picked Up This Book Because: After seeing the movie, which was excellent, I was interested in hearing more of the stories behind these ladies. As we all know the movie only scratches the surface.

The Story:

I picked this up because I wanted to know more but man I didn’t realize I’d learn so much more. While the movie concentrates on three women the book introduces us to many more. While I found the story of how Dorothy, Mary and Katherine came to work at Langley very interesting I will admit that I found some of the more technical aspects of their jobs boring.

The unexpected to me is how much I learned about my home state. These events took place not 2 hours from where I grew up and I had NO idea. Not about the base being so a front runner in aerodynamic technology or being such a frontrunner in the space race. Obviously I need to get out and absorb more local history.

There is so much more I could say, so much more that I learned. This is one of those books you feel like you should read, or listen to as I did, a second time. There was so much to take in I want to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

The Random Thoughts:

This book wins the award for longest epilogue.

The Score Card: